Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Make-Up Mistress Update

Well, well, well! It's been a while. My most sincere apologies, my loyal readers - all five of you! Seriously though, I share the computer with my partner who spends much of his time on it. It's a little difficult to write quirky and sassy blogs while he's pacing behind me, waiting to answer his emails. Ah! But I have some alone time with you readers today!

I have yet to find a good loose face powder. Truth be told, I haven't really looked that hard for one. I searched the internet with the few suggestions that my lovely readers gave me. I haven't committed to any brand yet because I just don't know. I want to try it out or at least see it with my own eyes. I think if I had much more money to blow, I would order some of the No7 powder that Ellie told me about. It looks fun and I've seen her makeup in photographs - so I can trust her opinion. From searching about the internet, I could find no supplier in Canada nor did I find any auctions on eBay. I'm back at square one and the need for a new powder is much stronger. Due to my clumsy hands, I have dropped my pressed powder. Not once...but twice. Needless to say, I now have loose powder - for all the wrong reasons. It's a mess but I don't know what to buy next. Decision making is not my strong point! I keep thinking about Clinique - I wonder what their powders are like? Has anyone tried them? Any more suggestions?

I haven't tried much in the way of new cosmetics lately. I did, however, receive an Avon mascara in the mail. My mom is such a sweetheart. She always seems to know what I am running out of, even when I don't tell her. Mascara is another issue for me. I can never find one that completely satisfies me. Perhaps, I am simply picky. I have pretty pathetic little eyelashes and I find that most mascara only color my lashes, not lengthen or thicken as promised. As well, a lot of the wand applicators are quite wide and my eye makeup ends up looking a bit messy. I just may write a little blurb about the Avon mascara soon!

The biggest news in my world of beauty? I finally bit the bullet and booked an appointment to see a dermatologist again. I used to see a dermatologist when I was a teenager. I needed to - I had pretty bad acne that left scarring on me. Not only did I have acne on my face, I had acne on my back - on my upper arms - on my chest....AND I was a teenaged girl. Needless to say, those awkward teenaged years were a little bit hellish! I took many medications, maybe antibiotics. Nothing ever worked, unfortunately. I stopped seeing the doctor when the last resort was birth control and Accutane. I refused to go on the pill back then as I do today. I don't like messing around with my hormones like that. And Accutane - I've heard the horror stories and it simply scared me back then. I remember the dermatologist showing me what a baby would look like if I got pregnant on Accutane. Good Lord, it was like a sketch from a bad science fiction comic. No thanks. I made the decision to live with it, accept it, and looked forward to growing out of it. It could always be worse, right?

Well, looks like I never did grow out of it. Of course, my skin got A LOT better. I no longer break out on my back, shoulders, or chest - THANK GOD (nor do I have scars). My face is another story. Though it can be a hell of a lot worse, I have always been fairly insecure about my skin. I still have scars on my face. I still break out in scarring acne. For those who have had cystic acne, it is not fun. They hurt. They cannot be concealed. They hang around like bad news. And then they leave a lovely scar. I may be thirty years old but my face is still stuck at 14. Actually, I hate talking about this and even writing about this. I know...I know it can be worse. But for once, and for fear of sounding like a Morrissey song, please...let me get what I want and have clear and perfect skin for once in my life.

So, I'm going to the dermatologist. I would prefer to go the homeopathic route as I did before I moved but it is pricier (I have a friend who is a Homeopath back home). I'm hoping to hear there is something out there that I can actually take. Something that will not mess up my hormones. Something that won't require me to take birth control. Something that isn't antibiotics. Otherwise, I am truly stuck with it.

My appointment is in June. I'll be sure to let y'all know the outcome. Keep your fingers crossed!

Tags: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Ellie said...

Hi hunny. I feel for you I really do. I've had some face outbreaks in my time but nothing as severe as yours! I started using Dermalogica's products a while ago and I swear I'm never going back to using anything else. My complexion is much brighter and clearer, no more visible pores, no more spots. It's a bit pricey and only available in salons but one bottle of their cleanser will last me six months so it's pretty good value for money and personally I think it's worth spending out on. I went to a salon in my hometown and had my face "mapped" by one of their beauticians, she recommended some products and gave me some samples to try. They have worldwide suppliers and a really good website.

If you really want to try the No7 face powder before you buy I can post you some of mine! Just let me know

Ellie xx

6:39 AM  
Blogger Me said...

I haven't even heard of Dermatologica! I'll have to look that up! Yeah, that's the thing with the type of acne I have. It can't really be fixed with really good products - only medication. Of course, I really shouldn't complain. It's soooo much better than years ago. The scars aren't that bad...but I just see it much more than others. I've been using Biotherm stuff and I really like it. It's super gentle on my skin.

I would love to try out the No7 powder! Only if you let me send you something from Canada though!? What would you want???

~Linda

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Ellie said...

Cross stitch me something sexy and we'll call it even!

I'll have to think of a way to package it carefully. We wouldn't want anyone thinking I was trying to send illegal "powder" through the post! hahaha

E-Mail your address to my myspace page and it will be winging its way to you very soon

Ellie
xx

9:18 AM  
Blogger Me said...

You have yourself a deal! But I'll warn you...it might take me a little while to pull it off! haha...

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home