Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Loose Powder Dilemma

Every other day, I browse eBay to find my face powder that I have used faithfully for years. For the past few months, I have had a hard time finding it. That's odd, I thought. I knew it was available at a salon outside of my city but I didn't want to travel nor did I want to pay salon prices. I used to work at a salon - I know how much salons jack up the price of everything from cosmetics to an hour's worth of hair dye. It's ridiculous. So I compromised. A few months ago, I bought a simple pressed powder by Cover Girl so I could save the little amount of loose powder that I still have for special occasions.

After a lengthy internet search (I'm easily distracted online), I discovered that my favorite loose face powder has been discontinued along with the entire line. I silently screamed inside, a long and drawn out "noooooo!". EBay doesn't have any. There are no links online to the product. Sephora doesn't carry it.

So it's official, I'm now searching for a new face powder and I would sincerely appreciate all the help I can get.


The powder that I have used for years was a line of cosmetics by Graham Webb, called Bibo. It was in loose powder form, in the shade of "light". It was a perfect blend - it went on lightly, it made your skin soft, and it didn't look chalky. It gave your skin a finished look. It was the perfect color. It came in a big container so the powder would last a long time. It...was...perfect. And now it's gone.

So I need your help. Any suggestions from my loyal readers. I know at least one of you out there has a good suggestion! What do you use? What do you love? What brands should I avoid?

To make it easier, I have made a list of things that I want/don't want in a face powder:
- Ideally, I want a loose powder. However, I am willing to try out a pressed powder if it's good.
- I want something that is in my price range. I'm not a cheapskate but I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that will run out quickly when I already have bills to pay.
- I don't like the powders from MAC Cosmetics.
- I don't like the powders from Maybelline.
- I have never tried the loose powders from Cover Girl but the pressed gives me blackheads, unfortunately. I think I'd like to steer clear from them.
- I don't want something that makes my skin look orange. I'm pale and proud of it.
- I want something light and not chalky.

Any suggestions would be more than helpful! Thanks!


Tags: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi honey. I use a loose powder by No7 that I think is great. A little goes a long way and the lightest shade is completely translucent so it wont make you look orange at all! It has a very soft texture and wont make your face look dusty or chalky. I'm not sure if you can get hold of it in Canada though. It's by a company we have here in the UK called Boots (they're a pharmaceutical and cosmetic company and have big shops everywhere that sell all sorts of different beauty products)

Ellie xx

3:25 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Ellie!
I'll have to find that online or something. Maybe I can find a good deal on eBay or something?!
Thanks for the help!

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will be able to find it on e-bay I'm sure. You'll want the shade that's called "translucent". It costs about £9.50 (sorry I have no idea what that is in your money!). If you can't find it mail me through my myspace page (myspace.com/hotrodhellcat) and I'll stick one in the post for you!

Ellie x

5:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.grahamwebb.com/othersites/ it says there they still make it? odd...you can go to places where they sell stage makeup and get loose powders there, even Jane Cosmetics makes a really great colorless powder and its pretty affordable

7:25 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Ellie...
I'm gonna check that out this weekend! Thank you for the help...and if I'm stuck, I will take you up on that offer of having you pop it in the mail for me!

Anon...
For some reason, I cannot access the Graham Webb website! I'll have to try it again...I will look up Jane Cosmetics too. Thanks for responding!

xxoo Linda

7:30 AM  
Blogger Dilly said...

I know my salon used to carry the Bibo line... I'll ask my stylist if they still have any stock left. The display used to be right next to her chair but it was gone the last time I visited.

3:26 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Yes, that is how I found out about the Bibo line. The Bibo website is no longer available online. The whole matter just upsets me, haha.

I just hate having to look for new makeup after using one that has been tried and true!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home